Monday, July 10, 2006

THE BLUE IMPS FLY SOUTH EVERY MONDAY MORNING

Flannery's Blue Imp comes south every Monday.
He arrives between 3 and 3:15 AM each and every Monday
to pinch and poke and prod the sleeping Eggman
and cause him to awake in misery or delight
to cry, laugh, scream or jump for 3 solid hours.

This has been
going on for months
and I think there's only so much more I can take
before I leave for the Keys and become a barfly.

I'll grow a beard and wear cheap $2 sunglasses
I'll have a ratty ol' white linen suitcoat
and no shoes.
They'll call me "El Greco" and ask where I'm from
and I'll say, "oh, here n' there."

I'll sleep on piers and work for a few bucks a day when the mood hits
helping fishing boats or handing out tourist pamphlets
and often dream of drowning myself in the ocean.

But at least I'll be able to get more than 4 hours of sleep
on any given Monday.

2 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Oh, I feel your pain. The Heartbreaker woke up at 5:05 this morning. Fortunately, she quickly went back to sleep when I brought her into bed with me.

I wish for you a steady sleep cycle. Perhaps you can ask your doctor how to make that happen? Other than moving to the Keys, I mean (save me a bar stool).

Thanks for the mention...I'd nearly forgotten that poem.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Just make sure the bar stool is not black. Either that or bring a couple of different colored sharpies.