Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Twelve Little Girls and a Ballerina

Twelve little girls and a ballerina
Holding hands in a circle
Skipping on their toes
Around and around.

I choke up and laugh
My daughter among them.
Her first dance class
Full of sweetness.

The other mothers and I
Gather in the hall,
Craning our necks to watch
Our baby girls learn to leap.

We take turns standing
In the spot with the best view;
The unspoken rotation
Moving like clockwork.

We laugh as our rookies
Fall, or walk instead of march,
Or look at themselves in the mirror
Instead of at Miss Jeanie.

We hope they behave.
We hope they excel.
We hope they are nice to each other.
We hope find peace in the movement of their bodies.

When they are done
They exit the dance floor
Into a mob of grace,
Of hopeful mothers,
Of seasoned young dancers.

And these baby girls
Devour their lollipops
Unmoved by the power
Of their own gifts.

3 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

There, you see? You did that thing again...where you communicate something by saying you won't talk about it? :-p

I'm glad you liked it. It was a moment for me. As I watched the class, I kept thinking that Riley would probably be more at home in a Tae Kwon Do class, but dance will be good for her. Besides, I'm not ready for her to be able to beat the shit out of me yet.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Note to self: sign up for mommy and me martial arts...

Distant Timbers Echo said...

To kids, it's all relative! I loved this one, Flannery!