Monday, May 01, 2006

People watchin', dishes washin'...

As I tucked my kid in bed
I thought about the chore ahead.
The dirty mound of porcelain
on countertop and in sink spread.

I sighed and soaped the water started,
stacked the plates and bowls aparted.
Looked out the window ‘cross the pool,
mouth dropped low and tongue departed.

There in sight a woman lay
bikini clad and on display.
And with my scrub brush I degreased
allowing my bored mind to stray.

An older couple holding hands
doth walked along the flower strands.
Side by side, their gait relaxed.
No care in this or other lands.

Late afternoon near dusky light,
the sun just barely over ripe.
The birds did seem to disappear
as bats prepared to soar the night.

The plates all scrubbed I rinsed them off
and placed them on the counter top.
The woman turned to sun her back.
The couple for a kiss did stop.

A car with spinners and loud sound
did slice the silence as it wound
through the ‘partments’ woven streets
and to its carport on around.

I finished with the bowls and glasses,
found a pot lined with molasses.
Baked beans from last night’s good meal,
I scrubbed and gazed at sunbathed as... um, buttocks.

No longer bored, this view I had
I nearly dropped the scrubby pad!
The dishes done, as dusk doth hid
the sun that now has dimmed a tad.

And now all dried, the dishes clean.
My girl asleep in bed serene.
Next time I hope when I do chores
that just like this, they’re not routine!

Always!
Jas…

3 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

This is why I insist that there be a window above the kitchen sink when trying to find a place to live. You never know what you'll discover about the place where you live.

I know I'm going to have many moments like this in my new home; we don't have a dishwasher.

Nice moment. Thank you for sharing it so well.

BTW, I was nearly convinced this was a Big Orange original as I was reading it. I'm not sure what you should make of that. ;-)

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Flannery - I'm flattered, actually! And wondering what Mr. O thinks of that! Hahaha!

I appreciate the kind words.

Distant Timbers Echo said...

I've devised a system where I basically just run 'em under hot water, set 'em on a towel, then wash my hands. I haven't gotten the Bird Flu yet!