Wednesday, May 10, 2006

DOWN THE PRIMROSE PATH

When I was 10
I fell in love with a girl that didn't exist
I was in Waldenbooks and I discovered
Faeries by Brian Froud
I loved the world he had painted and drawn
creatures dangerous and mischevious
ugly and sublime
all living amongst us but just beyond the range of human perception
it was 1978, long before the US Army accepted Wicca as a religion
and before people spoke in the common tongue of such things
as faerie and the fay folk,
of Mother Earth and Father Sky and the magic around and between
(it was also before the time of the Internet and the search for old, dirty men
seeking out the affections of young children
which explains why you may feel a bit odd when you borrow the book
and see who I soon fell in love with
[remember I was ten
and this was before the world moved on])
I fell first in love with the art
the charcoal line and transparent swath of watercolor
that made my own drawings look absurd, childish and embarassing
(indeed, I stopped drawing altogether for nearly 10 years
not realizing that Froud was a trained artist
with much, MUCH time to create)
Then, under Faerie Fauna, under Primrose, I found HER

even at ten it was her eyes that got me

4 comments:

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Very enchanting!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

I've seen girls like that when I was that age. It's the age when you are actually in love with the thought of being in love.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

You know, this feels much more like a blogcake than a poem.

Anonymous said...

I remember that book! I checked it out of the library and drew one of the beings from it. The ONLY art that I drew perfectly. I wish I could find that drawing. I loved that book. I may even go buy it just to have on my shelf.