Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ode to Picking Flowers...

At the office building
where I profess to work,
I happen to fell witness
to quite an irksome quirk.

I noticed earlier on
when I walked to the door
that all the flower beds
were bare down to the core.

Where yesterday were flowers
and plants all strong and pert,
all that then there stood
were giant squares of dirt.

What happened? Weren’t they pretty?
Did they not look sublime?
They were just pulled too damn quickly
‘fore they reached their prime!

And then I saw this afternoon
a big white flatbed truck.
“We Care” was printed on the doors,
but they don’t give a schmuck!

Four men leapt out and with them came
Some pallets of fresh flowers.
Chrysanthemums, perennials…
But they’ll be gone in hours.

Why bother? And why take the time
to think about it much?
This is why I think big business
is so out of touch.

To scoop away those healthy plants
in all their flourish glory
without a thought of creating
a blossom’s worst sob story!

Always,
Jas…

2 comments:

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Well, actually the building owners have the fresh flowers planted, then a few days later they're replaced with more fresh flowers. That sucks. But yes, they do get pinched by someone looking for cheap presents for his girlfriend's birthday, I'm sure. Jerks.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Nice poem, RN. I can't believe how cavalier people can be about flora.

BO: The garden gnome kidnapping is an urban legend.